The manager of the antique car show at our CAA Carriage Festival does his best each year to gather very early automobiles that help illustrate the transition from actual horsepower, and horse-drawn carriages, to engines.

Here are two excellent early examples from this year’s show …

.

This 1907 Franklin Type G Runabout is owned by Edmond & Sharon Hudon. The Type G was produced from 1906 until 1913; it had a four-cylinder, air-cooled, twelve-horsepower engine.

.

.

The horn on the Franklin Type G Runabout:

.

The top of one of the headlamps, which are stamped with a maker’s mark from Amesbury, Mass.:

.

The steering wheel, with its various gears and levers:

.

.

This 1923 Auburn 643 Touring Sedan is owned by Bob & Sharon Piper. It has an engine that produces a whopping fifty-horsepower.

.

.

The wooden spokes on one of the Auburn’s wheels:

.