When we last checked in with Mr. Johnson, he was preparing to leave Battle Mountain.

“On the morning of the 8th [of September 1882] I left Battle Mountain, about three o’clock, intending to reach Beowawe the same day, traveling a distance of thirty-three miles. On leaving Battle Mountain I followed the railroad to my right for over a mile, then following the river for some ten miles, when I again came to the right of the railroad to Shoshone station. In making Beowawe I pass two stations, Argenta and Shoshone. I traveled twenty-three miles in nine hours, making only one stop, the road being one of the best. On arriving at Shoshone, twelve miles, I introduced myself to the station agent …”

After the two chatted for a bit, “[the station agent said,] ‘Stranger, take your horse and cow and turn them into the grass, give them their dinner and come in and take dinner with me, and when you get home, you can say that you dined with John Briggs, of Shoshone, formerly of New York City.’ I did not wait for a second invitation. Our dinner consisted of bacon and eggs, bread, butter and coffee; you will remember I have always milk with me. After dinner we talked awhile. I inquired the distance to the next station. He replied, ‘It is ten miles to Beowawe. About a mile from here, take the right trail, leading you over the mountain, it is a less distance, and you will not have to ford the river, which is more mud than water.’

“I left him with good wishes and went on. On coming to the trail I hesitated whether to go over the mountain or ford the river, but concluded to cross the mountain. When about halfway up I stopped. I left my horse and went to the top, came back and said to the horse, ‘Fanny, can you get up this hill with your load? It is a hard pull, but let us try.’ We went about four rods further, then halted, and then made one more pull for the top, which we accomplished. This saved some three miles and we ran no chances in fording the river. The descending was much easier; making the descent we cross the railroad, and from this crossing to the station the road is good. The course of the railroad from Wadsworth to this mountain is north by east. Then turning to the right, making three-quarters of a circle, in reaching Beowawe, a distance of ten miles, where I arrived about six o’clock in the evening.”