While in Madison, Indiana, we visited a spectacular Greek Revival house built in 1844 for James F. D. Lanier.

.

a portion of the back "patio" of the Lanier Mansion

.

the view from the second-story windows in the previous photo; that's the Ohio River in the distance and Kentucky on the other side of the river

.

Across the street from the back garden is this carriage house:

.

according to a sign on this carriage house, it was "probably built c. 1887 by John Robert Cravens, attorney-at-law, as a carriage house and stable"

.

… and, next to it, this carriage house:

.

according to its sign, this carriage house was built by either William Stepp or Alexander C. Lanier (son of James, who built the neighboring mansion) between 1887 and 1892; after the early twentieth century, it was used as a cooperage, a garment factory, and a tobacco prizing house (where tobacco was graded and packed for shipment)